Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2015

First Quarter Independent Reading Reflection

I did not read many books this quarter, but everything I did read, I really did enjoy.
I completed a whopping total of 4 (technically a lot more if you count my manga reading, but just something tells me that doesn't count) books (WOW!!! So much I know, thank you) and am currently working on finishing a book. This is a LOT less than I would usually read but it's been tricky finding chunks of time set out for just reading.

The best book I read this quarter was A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park (DaVinci Code was good, but that was a re-read, so I won't count it). The story is about two different children in Sudan and their experiences getting to water. The reason why I chose this as my favorite is because I really liked how the book was structured and how the author laid out the plot so it was very engaging. My favorite part was definitely the ending, but I won't spoil it.


The difficulty of the books I chose this quarter ranged from pretty easy to just a little bit above my comfort level. I chose this difficulty because when I read for enjoyment, I try to choose books that I can read while relaxing or not really having to think too hard about the book, and to me the difficulty I can do this is the range from easy to slightly above comfort level.Types of books I've always liked was fiction (especially fantasy and realistic fiction) but I think now I'm discovering that memoirs are good reads (but not the type that are really boring and that your 15th century style English teacher makes you read. 

Personally, I did not feel any of my reading this quarter was "spiritual reading". I think the hardest thing for me to get into spiritual reading is the fact that most of the reading I did this quarter was in 5-10 minute chunks. For me, to really get into my book, I need to set aside a  fairly large portion of time (30+ minutes) and I couldn't really find time chunks this large for just reading this semester. I think to get to "spiritual reading", I need to find larger chunks of time to read, and being more relaxed while reading (like in my bed, eating my favorite food) and most of all, reading in a peaceful environment.

My goals for next quarter independent reading, is firstly  read more, read more, and read more. This quarter, I have set independent reading on the back burner, as an afterthought and my goal next quarter is to instead of picking up my phone, picking up a book. My next goal is to read in larger chunks. I think I could read more effectively if it wasn't divided up into 5-10 minute chunks.  

Maybe it would also help to read more actual novels, but I won't elaborate on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment