Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2016

No Faults in "The Fault in Our Stars"


The Fault in Our Stars is a true piece of art. A piece of art that was  probably made by a 5 year old in art class, but hey, art is in the eyes of the beholder. The book just had so many great, TOTALLY not cliche thematic elements, such as: teen romance, cancer, love at first sight, I-want-to-go-on-a-romantic-trip-but-my-mom-won't-let-me-oh-wait-jk-if-I-beg-enough-she-will, more romance, death.

But don't worry, this book isn't dark at all! I mean you shouldn't have your young child read it though, there's a lot of unnecessary swearing, that doesn't contribute shit (<-- see that one actually contributed!) to the message of the story! Oh, of course we can't forget the message. I think it's actually very very deep: if you have cancer, gg get rekt by fate!

Now, a great book like this one, would not be complete with some great characters. The first character is Hazel. Definitely not cliche either, not your average depressed high school student who wants nothing with life, except a spark of love!  I must say, I really did enjoy Augustus Waters also. Just like what Hazel says, he is just oh-my-god-so-cute and oh-my-god-he's-so-good-at-video-games and oh-my-god-I-love-how-muscular-he-is, and oh-my-god-he-likes-the-same-book-I-do, and oh-my-god-he-smokes. TBH, if Kirito or Tatsumi didn't exist, I think I'd love him instead! Nah, I take that back, nobody is hotter than Kirito, but that's a different story for a different time!

Speaking of story, I must comment on the great story. The story is set in a pretty average town, but the best part has to be the conflict in the story. I just love how Hazel struggles to express her love to Augustus throughout the story, definitely was not falling asleep when I read it; so engaging! The plot line is like a kiddie roller coaster at an amusement park, it really is as boring as it looks. Of course, the author is so cliche good at foreshadowing, I figured out the ending after I read the first chapter: it's not IF Augustus dies, but WHEN Augustus dies.

But even then, the ending was so impactful for me. Like this was me when I read the ending:

I flipped the page.

I read the page.

I processed the page.

I cried.

I had just wasted 3 hours of my life.

Now again I stress just how much I loved this book. So I'll make a quick list of why this book is better than any other book you'll find in the romance genre:

What TFIOS has that can't be found anywhere else:
1. really great characters, NOT cliche or anything
2. really great plot, like SO MUCH happens, not boring love all day AT ALL
3. great ending, totally not predictable, man it really pained me deep down

I think this book is totally worth the buy, really, you can buy it right here, you should really buy it!

But of course, if you're poor like me, then try this link!


---------------------------------- SIDENOTE-------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, I apologize to anyone who actually likes The Fault in Our Stars. You have my permission to slap me the next time you see me.

HOWEVER, hear me out. The book was  written very well. The craft was very high level and yeah, it was  p good. John Green is an amazing writer, but unfortunately, the stuff he writes is not really my type, nor is romance in general really my type.

On a serious note, if you like romance books, go for it, the plot and characters really aren't as bad as I describe them, and I could see how people would like this book.

Actually you know what, this book really reminds me of SAO. Like they have so many things in common:

1. cheap romance
2. no character development
3. a plot, but not really, because nothing REALLY happens
4. predictable plot
5. both are really mainstream, and I seem like to be the only hater here

Except SAO has Kirito. And Asuna. (we're dating BTW).
Which just makes it light years better.


--------------------------------ANOTHER SIDENOTE------------------------------------------------------------

OK, that turned out a little more weird than I'd have expected. Again I apologize to anyone that had to read this and I applaud you for making it this far.

Like OK, all weird stuff aside, Kirito actually is pretty good looking , I mean just click on the link and see for yourself. Although Jason with his hat comes pretty close...

No comments:

Post a Comment